See your scars as proof that you made it…not evidence that you almost didn’t.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Snap Decisions

I’ve always been a spur of the moment, first gut instinct is always the best, just do it, kind of girl. You know, the kind that bought the first wedding dress she tried on or house she looked at. The kind that makes a decision and just goes with it. Sometimes, this is a good quality. Like when I decided to write a book and when I decided to try to get published. Clearly good decisions. OTHER TIMES, like last night when I decided to color my hair, stopped at Target, let my 7 year-old help me pick out a color, came home and promptly turned my hair a lovely shade of navy blue…not so much.

I’ll pause here for laughter…

Yes, that’s right. Navy blue. I mean, it’s just hair and I’ve already called my boss and let her know I was going this morning to get it fixed. But really, I feel this is a much deeper problem for me and quite a few other folks. I don’t think things through. I don’t pause and say, is this really a good idea or is there a better way to do this? I think today’s fast paced environment has cost us the right to be indecisive. We are told to get it done and to be quick about it. But I say, stop people. Take your time. Unless we are talking about administering life-saving medication/medical care, whatever the problem is can wait for you to decide what the best resolution will be. Whatever the whim, it can wait for you to properly think it through, and hell, you can even go ahead and change your mind a few times because ultimately, we are the ones pushing ourselves to be faster, better, stronger. While I am a fan of the better and stronger, I think we should lay off the faster.

Slow and steady wins the race. Yet again, my mother was right.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© the Marvelous Misadventures of Mrs. t, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena